I've often heard the phrase, "I'm spiritual but I'm not religious." After much thought, I've come to the conclusion that this is entirely possible, and is as logical as: "I like the kitchen but I can't take the heat" or "I love the game, but I don't want to play by the rules." This is how Archbishop Chaput weighs in on "spirituality"...

"You know, there’s a reason why "spirituality" is so popular in the United States today and religion is so criticized. Private spirituality can be quite satisfying. But it can also become a designer experience. In fact, the word spirituality can mean just about anything a person wants it to mean. It’s private, it’s personal, and, ultimately, it doesn’t place any more demands on the individual than what he or she wants.

Religion is a very different creature. The word religion comes from the Latin word religare—to bind. Religious believers bind themselves to a set of beliefs. They submit themselves to a community of faith with shared convictions and hopes. A community of believers has a common history. It also has a shared purpose and future that are much bigger than any political authority. And that has implications. Individuals pose no threat to any state. They can be lied to, bullied, arrested, or killed. But communities of faith do pose a threat. Religious witness does have power, and communities of faith are much harder to silence or kill."

Categories:

Leave a Reply