I wrote this poem in my junior year of high school. Now that I've looked at it again, I recognize it as my commentary on Matthew 18: 3-- "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

Why I'm a Man by Bobby Bryant, Ph.D.
When I was a kid, I thought as a kid.
Now that I am a Man,
I think thru kid’s eyes
through kid’s hands and giggles
and pipes of wonder
A kid’s doubt,
seeing with leaps my newness, and my
brains

When I was a kid, I declined the wind my tears
For it
might paste them to my face
And mark my shame;
In tracks upon my cheek.
Now as Man, tear-stained scintillating
I praise my tearful courage,
and raise
my heart that leads my head

When I was a kid was my time of Science
When men were disillusioned,
And I so full of what they threw away
Could believe,
at night,
when lights were heavenly
(When they were blind)
And I could see
the night was heavenly

NOTE: Bobby Bryant, Ph.D. is someone I made up. If your name is Bobby, last name Bryant and you have a Ph.D., I apologize--had no idea you were out there. If it's any consolation, you're described as having fulfilled Matthew 18:3.

Categories:

Leave a Reply