Even Christ seemed to have trouble praying when he wasn't quiet and alone. That's telling, isn't it? No wonder we have so much trouble finding God ANYWHERE in our lives even though he's EVERYWHERE. I mean, just imagine if Elijah was rocking out with his new IPOD. Would he have heard the "still small voice"?* Could he have discerned God's presence?

I'm not ragging on IPODs (just as long as they haven't become a permanent part of your anatomy and physiology.). I'm just saying. If we clutter our minds with whatever, how can we discern a God who likes to work in subtle and silent ways? For me the ridiculous running commentary I hear in my head is enough to block out what God's saying. If, once in a while, I shut up...a holy whisper, a still small voice, God has been speaking all along.

If you have a moment, find your silence. Listen. If you get a chance, put in a word for me too. We all need it...this habit of silence. It's the requirement for cleaning house within ourselves and for changing the world. Why? Because if our own things aren't in order, we can't order anything else outside of us. The clutter within just keeps spilling out into the world.

*1 Kings 19 11-12
[11] And he said, "Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD." And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and broke in pieces the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake;
[12] and after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice.

Categories:

One Response so far.

  1. LA says:

    Oh...so profound! Yes, yes, yes! I'm a mother, and I recently started blogging too. Love your blog! A friend sent me the link. Can relate so much to all your blog posts. Very refreshing. You may relate to some of mine as well...check it out when you get a chance: http://mdmartha.blogspot.com

    -LA

Leave a Reply